It is my pleasure to announce the opening of nominations for the Class of 2019 Siebel Scholars. Following the successful inauguration of the Awards in 2010, we are beginning the tenth year of this prestigious award program made possible by the generous donation by the Siebel Scholars Foundation.
Each year, five Siebel Scholars are selected and each Siebel Scholar will receive directly an award in the amount of $35,000. This award must be in addition to any other financial support received by the graduate student. The Institute of Engineering in Medicine is working with the Jacobs School of Engineering in administering the nomination, review, and other processes related to these Awards.
The purpose of the Siebel Scholars Program is to reward academic achievement and leadership in the discipline of bioengineering. Ph.D. students in their last year of study, in any of the six departments of the Jacobs School, with their dissertation emphasis on bioengineering (including Ph.D. students working in areas such as Bioinformatics and Biomedical Devices) are eligible. Nominations should be made by the faculty advisor, with appropriate information supplied by the student candidate.
Detailed information on the Siebel Scholars Program, including the selection criteria and award process, is given on the attached document from the Foundation. The nominations will be reviewed by a committee to select five Siebel Scholars based on these criteria, and the final recommendations will be submitted to the Siebel Scholars Foundation before July 11, 2018 for approval.
The nomination should consist of the following:
- A 2-page letter on the faculty’s letterhead summarizing the basis of the nomination according to the selection criteria outlined in the attached document from the Siebel Foundation. In the letter please include the statements that "the candidate is expected to complete his/her Ph.D. study in the Spring Quarter of 2019*", and that "the sponsor understands that the $35,000 Scholarship is to be used exclusively by the student for purposes he/she chooses and that it will not be used to defray any expenses such as stipend, tuitions or fees."
- A 1-page resume of the nominee (including list of publications, if any).
- Nominee’s statement on his/her plan for the last year of PhD research, as well as the future plan (total 1 page).
- Nominee’s transcript of academic records.
- Nominee’s head-shot picture (high resolution, digital, color photograph, with the head occupying more than 1/4 of the area).
- (Not required, optional) Reprints of publications and other supplemental materials.
Items 1-3 should be submitted as pdf documents, with margins of 1 inch and font size no smaller than Arial 11.
In addition, please include the following complete contact information for the nominee: UCSD and local home mailing addresses, UCSD and personal cell phone numbers, and UCSD and personal email addresses – in order to ensure that the Siebel Foundation will be able to reach the Scholars, and send them pertinent information, once selected.
Please submit your nominations on the website https://siebel.ucsd.edu. The site will open on Friday, May 11, 2018, and will close at 4:00 pm sharp on Wednesday, June 6, 2018.
There will be an information session to be held on Wednesday, May 16 at 3:00 pm in the Fung Auditorium of the Powell-Focht Bioengineering Hall. All faculty and eligible students are welcome.
On behalf of Dean Pisano and myself, I wish to thank you in advance for your cooperation in taking this wonderful opportunity to recognize our stellar Ph.D. students who are at the frontier of bioengineering-related research.
Director, Institute of Engineering in Medicine
* There is the possibility of extending the completion date of Ph.D. study into the summer months upon approval during Spring Quarter 2019.